Sunday, October 7, 2018

Unlearning the Myths that Bind Us

     The text, "Unlearning the Myths that bind us", by Linda Christensen, argues that children are programed very early through literature in forms of books, magazine, billboards, tv, etc, on information about people that are different from them. Thus, morphing their little minds from the very start of comprehension. In the very beginning stages of the text, there is reference to the, "secret education that instructs young people to accept the world as it is portrayed in these social blueprints” (pg 126). After reading this statement, I began to think of the books I read as a child and tried to recall if my outlook on other races at that time was indicative of the texts I had been read to at school, or even at home before bed. After some introspection, I realized it was in fact true. Intentionally or unintentionally, “the stereotypes and world view embedded in the stories become accepted knowledge.” What ever it was the text said, I believed. One specific literature that made me think of multiple examples as to how true the previously mentioned statement was, I thought of beloved Sesame Street. 
     Sesame Street is a prime example of a text in my childhood years that I had accepted to be truthful and what I based my early knowledge off of. In sesame street, there is a character named Oscar the grouch. Oscar is homeless, lives in a tin trash can, and is constantly looked down upon by his community. The point here is that after reading, and then watching sesame street, although it deeply entrenched me in the alphabet, the show had singlehandedly taught me to a harsh stereotype in which those who are homeless, presumably, are grouchy and not liked by the majority. Which is true in some cases, sure, but later in life I realized homelessness can truly happen to anyone and judgment truly should be reframed. Which is much easier said than done, yet, something I continually work on to this day. This example clearly demonstrates the power of literature dovetailed with a high broadcasting network such as HBO as a platform that reaches millions of viewers. 

     In conclusion, the author portrays a strong argument concerning the powerful ability of literature to instill a bad first impression of a race, gender roles, etc, all from what, after a critical eye, is crafted specially toward a younger viewer. The manipulations of race, sex, and boosted patriotism are all portrayed through cartoons and in television shows. Thankfully, teachers are being proactive and educating students in a way that, “ many who watched cartoons before we start[ed] our study say they can no longer enjoy them. Instead of seeing a bunch or ducks in clothes, they see the racism, sexism, and violence that swim under the surface or the stories.” This statement is very profound as it illustrates a carful recognition that their reality is fed to them through complex mediums with bad intentions that need to be scrutinized for a true understanding of the literature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment