The excerpt from,Safe Spaces, written by Annemarie Vaccaro, Gerri August, and Megan S. Kennedy, is a very informative piece. As an aspiring teacher, I realize, gladly, that the days are over where we unrecognized students who are gay, transgender, bisexual and other forms of sexuality. It is important to help those who differentiate from the once normal sexual orientations. Having respect for the gay and other sexual orientations at this point in the modern society is so valued, it is as if it is unconstitutional to disagree or hate on the gay community. I am fortunate enough to not have met a single person who is against gay marriage. Everyone I know is accepting of the gays and have no problem being around them. This text indulges into how the classroom accepts, not tolerates or accommodates, but accepts, expects even, for kids to be different from the straight.
In the last article we read, “Unlearning the Myths That Bind Us”, I was able to parallel Safe Spaces in which both articles exclaim that what our children are taught outside of the classroom contribute to inside the walls of the school. In regards to Unlearning the Myths That Bind Us, If students are watching cartoons such as Popeye where a higher sense of patriotism and racism are present, we will undoubtedly see thee qualities as they spill into the classroom. On a similar note, the author of, Safe Spaces, mentioned how the outward influences are present in the classroom, particularly religion. Being raised Catholic, when the LGBT started to really gain their due respect, I had to come upon it myself to decide that I was going to accept them because the Church does not. I truly do not believe there is anything wrong with being gay or transgender because I really could not care less what others want to do with their lives and it would be incredibly selfish and arrogant to try to control or care about someone who lives their life without hurting others.
Another text that, Safe Space, can be compared to is Aria, by Richard Rodriquez. This text emphasized the importance of changing in order to be accepted. On the complete opposite of the spectrum, the gays, finally, no longer are crushed by the once overwhelmingly powerful societal norms such as remaining in the closet and come out after high school or even college, or never in some cases. Now, it is encouraged and completely acceptable to come out whenever one feels comfortable. Bullying was present in my schools, I mean I was bullied even as a straight kid, but with the recent push for anti bullying and enforced consequences, not to mention the fact that bullying those who are not straight is utterly wrong and unacceptable, progress is present.
A recent study from UCLA, illustrates the transgender suicide rate as forty-percent, statistically proving that it makes no statistical difference as to whether people recognize a being as transgender or not, suggesting a major problem at this time. Especially, given that the normal suicide rate is four percent. Although bullying does not seem to play a major role in the suicide rates, statistically, it certainly should not be allowed or tolerated because although the evidence does not suggest bullying as the main factor for such Hugh suicide rates, it make you wonder what is? Upon further research, the reason for bullying not playing a major role in the extremely high suicide rate is well demonstrated by this study. As follows, the black community that is looked upon as a being subject to racism and bullied endlessly, have a lower suicide rate than the white. When I first read this I was surprised, but it still didn’t seem relevant to the transgender folks, thus, proving to be very complicated topic. Bullying may not be the main cause of suicide for these folks, None the less, an issue not to be taken lightly, as the text suggest.

No comments:
Post a Comment