Monday, September 10, 2018

U.S.A, Land of Limitations





 The article, " USA, Land of Limitations", by Nicholas Kristof, is a very compelling argument concerning one’s ability to advance in this world. The article begins to explain how the United States of America used to be a place where people came, not for welfare, but to provide goods and services. The hardworking people had the opportunity to do so, Kristof states. However, he feels that in today’s world, opportunity is very rare. 
     This article made me think back to when I was young. As a young lad trying to figure out what high school to go to, my father instilled life lasting advice into me. He said, “Don’t worry about the price of the school. I work hard so you have the opportunity to attend a good school. Opportunity is everything.” I knew how important opportunity was at this very age. However, it was explained to me that opportunity, is not rare. My father told me that I wanted to get a bike I was going to have to work to buy it. So, I cut lawns, picked up leaves, helped my neighbors with task such as building fences and so forth. The opportunity for me to make money was all around me. The fact that the author states that opportunity is very rare and successful is dependent upon the success of one's grandparents  seems like a very cynical look at success. 
     Being said, I do see where he is coming from. When looking at politics and Ivy League schools even, the applicants that get accepted have the rare convince of having someone on the inside. Thus, being smart gets you no where unless you have an inside connections, making advancing into a realm such as being part of a big corporation difficult when hr letters on your resume are not a top knock school that cost an arm and a leg to attend. 
     One point to voice in the classroom is that of which opportunity is available to those who are willing to seek it. Finding the opportunity may not be easy, it may take several lesser than ideal opportunities that will lead you to the opportunity of your dreams. However, with time comes experience and every expense you encountered and endure in your lifetime will be of value to whatever opportunity you are presented with in your life. 


6 comments:

  1. Nick, I love your insight on this reading. I was especially intrigued with the connection you made between your grandfather and the reading. It made the post very personal and passionate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick, I think you did a great job articulating that opportunity is available more often than the author had stated. I really like the way you made the connection personal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nick, I enjoyed reading your own connection to opportunity and how your father has worked hard to give you what you need. However, for some kids, they do not have parents who are willing to do anything and everything for them. Most kids are forced to go into public schools because they do not have the money to attend private schools. Additionally, when you disagree with Kristof I think you are thinking on a smaller level than he is. To my understanding, Kristof is speaking of the opportunity of becoming apart of the 1% and how to get their from the lower class is almost impossible. I agree with you that opportunity is all around us but it is not as assessable to us compared to the children apart of the 1%. To connect this to a child apart of the 1%, Kylie Jenner would most likely have never had a multimillionaire business if it wasn't for her families reputation and money. We can work as hard as we want but the likely hood of obtaining loads of money is almost impossible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with what you said about the Ivy League schools, etc. They say "it's not what you know, it's who you know" nowadays. There is some systematic discrimination in education. Although they may be qualified, some cannot afford to attend these prestigious universities, preventing them from providing a better life for themselves and family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nick, I liked how you added a personal connection becuase it shows the importance about oppurtunity. I personally believe that opputunity is what you make out of it. However, some people may never have the chance to experience this no matter how hard they try. Kristof further explains this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how you mentioned that opportunity was all around you when you were looking for it, but was that same opportunity there for someone poor who might not have all of the resources and materials you have? I also really like how you said “opportunity is everything” because it totally is. Making choices, taking chances, and having different opportunities will help you reach your goals.

    ReplyDelete